Wednesday, May 18, 2011

AmeriCorps Week 2011

Happiness is...

National AmeriCorps Week.

I have spent my last ten months serving as a VISTA in Saint Paul Schools. It has been quite the journey... my coworker says it best: "My term of service has, at times, been difficult, challenging and even a bit overwhelming, but it has never been dull. I have seen students who were struggling to understand basic phonics begin to read fluently. I have had the privilege of coordinating an amazing group of volunteers and meeting some incredibly talented VISTAs. I also began to understand what it feels like to step outside of my comfort zone to participate in something larger than myself. I am unspeakably grateful for these life lessons and, as I begin to wrap up my term of service, I can’t help but wonder who has learned more during this year of tutoring---the students, or me?"

This week I am reflecting on what my service has meant for my own professional and personal development, as well as its impact on this community. I can say knowingly that I've learned more in the one year thrown-under-the-bus-pretending-to-know-what -I'm-doing-business than in the whole Bachelor's Degree business that I handled prior. It's been a whirlwind, and it's the perfect time to reflect on this transitory stage of my life. VISTAs move things forward, and sacrifice their own salary to fight poverty, illiteracy, homelessness, and the like. In hindsight it is just as real as any career, but why doesn't it quite feel that way?

I have concluded that this is what I wanted, after all. A job that makes change, surrounded by others who are passionate about that change. A place where I am responsible, and inspired. Happy National AmeriCorps week to all of my fellow service members who have found the same kind of place!

No comments:

Post a Comment