Saturday, March 5, 2011

Catching Up... Sorry folks!

Well, needless to say my project hit a road block. I must apologize to whoever out there in cyberspace that actually reads this, but I am back! I will not be straying again.... hopefully. Allow me to make up for lost time.

Happiness is...

Crossing language barriers. On Wednesday night I volunteered at a local food shelf where a majority of the incoming visitors were hispanic---not only was I able to direct them, I did it in their native tongue. I felt so blessed, and I think they did too! Being able to accommodate like that is why I wanted to speak Spanish. America does not have an official language yet, after all.

I get upset when people complain about them not speaking "American", because I was there, teaching an evening ELL class, to people who were coming four nights a week AFTER their full time jobs. People who were working diligently to learn a second language for the good of their children, their community, and their lifestyle. People who went through the motions of a beginning English class for years before advancing to the next step of their learning. People who completely altered my perspectives on immigrants---SO THERE.

I have a heart for these people. And my heart bleeds Spanish :)

Happiness is...

BOGO coupons. Dave's words: "can I bo and you go?" Makes my day. Things like that make me happy. As a matter of fact, all coupons make me happy. Free stuff! It's like I'm back in college.

Happiness is...

Townie bars that give free popcorn. Quick trips to Joanns to get a project for the weekend. Putting in a movie to drown out the noise of the wind whistling past the barren land. Taco stands on at the corner of the bar and the jail. Spending an evening catching up about the absolutely nothing that is happening in life. Visiting good friends in a not-so-good town, but having plenty of laughs about it all, and happy to be together again.

Happiness is Austin for the weekend.

Happiness is...

SPAM Museum! Yes, that't the only thing worth visiting around here. But boy is it fun! ;) Pictures of timelines, of spam cans, of mascots, of trivia and games. Spam tattoos.

And now, happiness is watching them try to cook with Spam. Wish me luck!

Happiness is...

Catching up on things. I hope you're still following. Thank you, and good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment