Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Self-Control

Happiness is...

Self-control
[self-kuhn-trohl, self-]
–noun
control or restraint of oneself or one's actions, feelings, etc.


Isn't this what lent is all about? I decided to sacrifice desserts this year. It has not been an easy stretch, but I've officially made it four weeks. 28 days.

The custom of giving something up throughout this time is meant to bring us closer to God by turning it over to him. I had contemplating letting him have one of my sinful habits, but I knew I would fall. Learning self-control is a difficult and daily struggle. We are imperfect, and that is the reality. I can barely even identify with his sufferings, and I know that I am still chasing the wrong things.

Today, happiness comes from looking at the candy around my desk without temptation. But man, am I ever anticipating my Easter basket this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment