Friday, April 8, 2011

Wine

Happiness is...

A nice glass of smooth white wine.

Once upon a time I got the chance to go to the Tuscan countryside and enjoy a wine tasting in a Chianti winery. I learned the complexities of a good wine.
You have to hold it at the stem; not only will your fingerprints not taint the look of the wine, but you don't risk warming it up...
Swirl it around to catch all of the scents embodied within. This is not necessary except for with an older red, but it is definitely worth it. The longer it takes for the beads of wine to come back down the glass, the richer it is.
Finally comes putting it to your lips. Let it find its way to every corner of your palette, so that each unique flavor can be discovered by the different parts of your tongue.
What are the sensations? Do you find berries or apples, pears or peaches, or even cinnamon, chamomile, oak?

Today, the wine is a simple German Riesling. Still, it's delightful. I will never forget the experiences I've had and I'll never turn down a sweet glass half full. Yes, I see it half full.

No comments:

Post a Comment