Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Coming Out Day

Happiness is...

National Coming Out Day.
They deserve it. Today I celebrated by attending a Safe Zone training to help me be an ally to my colleagues and students. We discussed many facts about the discrimination and violence against LGBT individuals and how we can be the change. It was powerful. I believe there will be positive change in my generation's America. I am happy about this.


And it was a great way to undo yesterday's holiday. Columbus was not a hero. He did not discover America, nor did he start our nation. He exploited, enslaved, and murdered thousands of native peoples. Didn't know? Check it out.

Instead, today I honor people worthy of my admiration. My LGBT friends are truly heroic, and this training reminded me of that. I will likely be in awe until bedtime, warm and fuzzy to boot. Here's to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment