Saturday, February 5, 2011

Skates

Happiness is...

Roller Derby. This comes to you a little bit late, but no less enthusiastic.

We finally did it. We put on our leather jackets, grabbed a beer, and ventured out to see the MN Roller Girls! Totally worth your money, if you were ever wondering.

The point is for the jammer on the team to lap the pack of blockers from the opposing team. Seeing them fight for a hole just to get ahead was seriously intense. Medusa was my favorite jammer, swiping left then right to get past those bitches from Tuscon! What a show. By the end we were over 100 points ahead. No one even poses a chance against Minnesota from the looks of the game I witnessed.

At the start of the show I decided it might be fun to try. By the end I realized I would never be able to maneuver right on four wheels with that big rubber stopper. Some of them are scrappy, as you may have guessed. If I ever get the guts, I have already chosen my derby name: Kristi Yamacoochie. I could be a menace... someday...

Possibly the best part? The preshow was a step team and half time was a polka band. You have no idea what these ladies have up their sleeve. I can easily see why it becomes a culture of derby. For now, I'm glad I got a glimpse into it all for the night.

Grand slam!

No comments:

Post a Comment