Saturday, September 17, 2011

Ahead of schedule

Happiness is...

Getting ahead on reading. You likely do not understand what a colossal feat this is. Let me explain.

Graduate school is demanding and, at times, overwhelming. When I was at my interview the second year students told me that the work load was heavy and that they were always trying to keep up with reading. Because I was a 4.0 student in college and an ambitious young professional, however, this did not apply to me. I have always just been gifted. Man, did I underestimate this program. I have learned my lesson, pulled myself up by my bootstraps, and started working just as hard as the rest of them.

When my professor emailed us the assigned reading (approx. 200 pages) to be done by the first day of class---with only two days' warning mind you---reality slammed into me like a freight train. I have been struggling along the tracks ever since. But this afternoon, I finished a chapter that doesn't just get me to where I need to be next week, it gets me ahead. It's such a good feeling to be on top of my game! I feel like for once I can indulge in a little bit of a social life. Maybe I can even stop to cook a nice dinner. Regardless, I have time to breathe. Now, if only I can keep it that way. Here's to continued success with graduate schoolwork! Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment